Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Escapism





Yes, I admit. Facebook and the games that come with are my escape.

I like playing the games. I have a bit of a competitive streak. When I see someone has a higher score than I do, I must pass it.

Sad isn't it?

However, today that is changing. While at the NCHE Convention, I attended a seminar about Social Media - Capturing it for Christ. The general premise was, we need to be on Facebook to attend to what our children are posting and reading. We can also spread the Gospel by using Facebook to reach others for Christ.

But one thing the speakers (Hal & Melanie Young http://www.raisingrealmen.com/) said over and over was "Don't Play The Games". 

Squirm. 

Squirm.

Who me?

Okay God, I get it. I know I use it to escape from the overwhelming inadequacy I feel in being a wife, mom and home school teacher. I know I use it to avoid tackling my house, which just sends me into a tizzy every time I look around, because I can't seem to get a handle on the stuff that people leave lying around.

So, today, I blocked ALL the games. I deleted all the game related apps. 

My feed is strangely quiet. 

And yet, I am relieved. The notices are not there attracting me to play. I will be interested to see what happens now.

So, if I was a game friend on FB, I am sorry. I still love you, but I won't be answering your requests. Everyone else - pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment