Friday, July 8, 2011

Just Because You Can Wear it...

And I want women to get in there with the men in humility before God, not primping before a mirror or chasing the latest fashions but doing something beautiful for God and becoming beautiful doing it.  1 Timothy 2:9 (The Message)

I have been observing summer wear lately.

Now, I realize I am "old school", but seriously people, do you ever look in a mirror? Just because you CAN wear something doesn't mean you SHOULD wear it!

It amazes me what people wear out in public. I am still stunned that people actually go out to stores in their pajama bottoms. I mean, even if they have a cool design like, say, Scooby Doo, are they really appropriate for shopping at Target?

And Moms, if you wonder why your daughters dress so immodestly, maybe it is a reflection of the plunging halters in your wardrobe.

In May we took a trip to the beach. One of our expeditions was to the Battleship North Carolina. I just had to keep pushing my jaw back up at the women in mini-skirts, midriff baring tops and flip flops climbing up and down the ladders of the ship.

The one that still sticks in my mind is the woman I saw at the dentist one day. She was there with her young son, and I mean he was a preschooler.  She was a very pretty woman, and certainly in good shape. But I just thought the white short shorts, platform sandals and the t-shirt which said "Foxy" and had a sparkly fox on it was over the top for mom-wear.

Of course you know I am just living in the wrong decade (or century for that matter). But seriously, were has modesty gone? I am just stunned at the amount of cleavage I see these days, even at church!

Really, it is sad when there has to be a note in the church bulletin that we should dress to honor God and to be careful to wear modest clothing. Dressing like you are ready for the water park, or in a really low cut sundress is just not appropriate.

My girls know how I feel about this. Shorts have to be fingertip length. No halter tops. Tanks have to have 1 inch straps - camis DO NOT qualify as outer wear.

It gets harder and to find modest clothing for any of us. Why is that? Are we the only ones who think the "girls" should be covered in public? And if you have to hold down the hem of your skirt in the back when you walk don't you think that is a clue it is too short?

I also find that size doesn't preclude letting it all hand out - literally. I am a spacious woman myself, but I cannot fathom someone my size is comfortable in lo-rise jeans and a skin tight cami! Aren't you self conscious about those rolls? I sure would be!

There are times when I wish we would go back to dressing for events. Do they even sell men's suits anymore - I mean who wears them? Business casual seems to be the rule of the day.

And you can never find nice dresses - for any age. They only have dresses for the girls at Christmas maybe Easter. Oh, and prom time, and those are made to show a lot of decollete.

I just should have been born a couple of decades earlier. June...I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment